Saturday, April 18, 2009

Republique


Republique metro stop
never leaves the 11th arrondissement.
It never doesn't smell
like chain smokers,
or sliced ham
or rush hour.

The haulage of subway cars
forces me to hold hands
with unfamiliar visitors
in a space filled 
with dripping 
umbrellas.


Tonight a Frenchman doesn't wear a black coat
behind me.
He's dressed in quilted
rainbows and sings Bob Marley.

He reminds me 
my teeth loose color
when I drink Merlot
and that the crescent moon
forms a spotless heart.

Emotionless women near me
don't need reminders.
They follow me up 80 steps
to men selling
cooked chestnuts in shopping carts.

Green sparks peel from their hands 
and we pass the smell
of edible nuts rolling
in yesterdays newspaper.

The women smoke cigarettes
as long as their legs
and 
I follow behind the
emblem of fume,
leading all of us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment