Saturday, April 18, 2009

Misinterpretation

You traveled from train
near thread-like alleys
that brought us
hand in hand
into churches
that smelled of
open-eyed trout.

It wasn't our country
but words didn't
keeps us out
of streets
and beats of a
Congolese whisper throw us into
the blackout of day.

I walk in moth-light 
listening to you
speak French
better 
than me, 
under hanging fishnets
that droop like
weeping willows.

We drink red beer
that foams
seduces
me into sheets of rain
under apartments
owned by French lovers
who toast Savignon Blanc
when the sun sets.

Butterflies 
are vacant
in corner dust
under a backpack
that holds your past.

Only your slang is familar
but I'll never
be bi-lingual
beneath the
Eiffel Tower
or the bend of your arms that tie me
into your own translation.

"Branque"
"Baiser"
"Bourrer"
"Deconner"

It's jargon,
street talk
which builds
in clouds
around fish sellers
and runway models gowned
in grey leather
and smoke.

They know the sounds
that Je ne comprends pas
but which you use to order me
cappuccino
in a country that will never be ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment