Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Climb


I climb the mountain's shell
in a rush of air
like before
birth
and after
heartbreak.

My bedroom 
window 
pulled me 
through 
untouched glass
to branches that curl white,organic calligraphy.

Rocks follow me
like the Peregrine Falcon
follows the wind.

I climb higher
above the footprint
of doormats
lovers,
and circular keyholes
I forgot to lock.

A sky that woke me in my sleep,
now canopies
me 
while I wake 
and walk.

Tree barks are
splotched orange
by Ladybird Beetles
who bleed their shells into
the crust of timbers.
They leave their
remains
in the lining of 
Ponderosa Pine
staining their death
and the sun
Titian. 

I climb 
with ash-colored minerals
that trail under steps like
dogs at my heels,
grey and black
like leftover lava,
or animal droppings
that hardened overnight.

I climb 
to leave the remote-controlled
fireplace,
the vents that 
seep dirty,
the weedless garden
that grows
in straight lines.

I climb 
to disappear
and
follow the sun
that speaks in silence,
falls 
alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment